Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

We should change the tag "model-category" to "model-categories" so it follows the convention established by "stacks", "schemes", "sheaves", "accessible-categories", etc.

Do the moderators have the ability to rename / merge tags without bumping? There are, by my count, over 130 tags associated to a single question each, and I have no doubt that many of them could fruitfully be merged into existing tags.

• CommentAuthorWillieWong
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010

IIRC, if a tag is only associated to a single question, and if that question gets retagged to something else, then the tag disappears (because there's no question associated to it). Is that right? If that's the case someone just needs to go on a retagging spree. Admittedly this has relatively little to do with Harry's original question.

The moderators can merge one tag into another, without doing any bumping. In particular, we can easily implement Harry's suggestion, and will do so shortly if there aren't any objections.

• CommentAuthorWillieWong
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010

I see.

I just tried to retag a few of the singleton ones and, to my horror, bumped some really old questions to the front page. My apologies.
    Maybe merge: discrete-geometry and combinatorial-geometry? plane-geometry and euclidean-geometry? And delete the eight tags containing 'geom' that have zero posts? No doubt it would take considerable effort to clean up the tags, but they do seem sprawling to me.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010 edited

Combinatorial geometry is not the same as discrete geometry. In particular, the theory of simplicial sets is combinatorial geometry (and topology), but it is certainly not discrete by any stretch of the word.

delete the eight tags containing 'geom' that have zero posts

Tags with zero posts are cleaned up automatically roughly once per day.

@Anton: Ah, I misinterpreted: I guess those tags have 1 post each, but they are not displayed as 'x 1'.
    @Harry: Good point! I wasn't thinking of simplicial sets.
    and plane geometry is not the same as euclidean geometry
    @Gerald: I have thoroughly demonstrated my lack of understanding of the tags! :-) Now I will watch and hopefully learn.